Did you know that Alzheimer’s starts to develop in the brain 30 YEARS before ANY symptoms show up?
Alzheimer’s is now being referred to as Type III Diabetes.
The worst part about all of this, is that it can be prevented.
What is the best prevention, you ask?
Decrease the likelihood of the following:
Obesity, heart disease, diabetes, depression, sleep apnea.
Ok, how do you do that?
1. Eat more healthy fats (raw nuts and seeds, extra virgin olive oil, wild caught salmon, avocados (my personal favorite)).
2. Avoid fats that oxidize easily like nut and seed oils, canola oil, hydrogenated anything.
3. Eat the rainbow, NOT skittles. Fill up on leafy green veggies, and incorporate different color vegetables and fruits into EACH meal. *if your plate is mostly beige, you need to reevaluate what you’re about to eat.
4. Move more. You don’t need to get a gym membership and become Hercules. You do need to park further away, go on walks, take the stairs every chance you get, get up during commercial breaks and maybe throw in some squats every time you go to the bathroom.
5. Reduce stress. Deep breathe. 5 second inhale, 5 second hold, 5 second exhale. Repeat that for at least 6 cycles (roughly 2-3 minutes) . You’ve now allowed your body to activate your relaxation response. And you didn’t even have to do yoga!
6. Avoid processed sugar. I’m beating a dead horse with this one. But seriously, if there is more than 9g of sugar in a serving of something, it doesn’t need to be consumed. STARCHES LIKE PASTA AND BREAD ARE SUGAR IN DISGUISE. Be wary.
7. Don’t let your past behaviors dictate the future of your health. If you haven’t already, choose one of the above and start healing yourself today.